Blankets and Beanies

I spent most of the weekend on the couch crocheting – a very lazy, enjoyable couple of days! Firstly I used my new blocking pins for the first time to block my Sophie’s Universe blanket that I finished back in May.  It was pretty square already and I’ve been using it unblocked for months, but I needed to officially straighten it up so I can enter it into the Royal Hobart Show in two weeks.  This was actually the first time I’d seen it all flat on the floor, and I had to climb up onto furniture in order to take some photos of the whole thing.

I decided to crochet another slouchy.  This was my second attempt, since the first was crocheted in acrylic and thus pretty stiff and not slouchy-like.  I used some beautiful hand dyed merino in order to get a softer result, and bought a pattern from Ravelry, which can be found here.  I loved using this yarn, however the finished product was more like a beanie than a slouchy as it was too small to actually ‘slouch’ on your head.  I guess it doesn’t help that I have a rather large head, but if I try this pattern again I will make some pattern repeats to make it longer.  The pattern was lovely and simple though, and recommend (if you want a beanie!).

I then spent the rest of the weekend working on my Spectrum blanket, which is actually the Summer CAL blanket by Amanda Perkins.  After spending hours and hours and hours and hours (and did I mention hours?) weaving in ends and starting to stitch the squares together (in different colours so that the joins would be invisible – resulting in MORE ends to weave in argh) I’ve decided the next large project I work on will be in ONE colour so that I don’t have all those frustrating ends!  The blanket is looking good though, and I’ll be very happy with it once it’s finally finished and blocked.

150927_CAL150927_WS150927_Summer CAL progress

Advertisements

Knitting – Tempted By The Dark Side

Over the last week I’ve been trying my hand at knitting socks.  My mother gave me some yarn money for my birthday on Friday, and she’s a bit of a knitter so I thought I’d give it a go for something different.  I bought a couple of balls of gorgeous sock yarn, some double point needles and a sock book.  Mum has been great by attempting to teach me how to knit socks via skype, which is pretty difficult when you’re trying to hold the iPad in the best position for the camera while trying to awkwardly hold the needles correctly.  I kind of feel like I’m betraying my hooks though, and I keep calling the needles ‘hooks’!  This is the first thing I’ve knitted other than a few dodgy scarves, so it’s all pretty new to me. Fun, but very time consuming.  I find it very difficult to pick up stitches that I accidentally drop, or need to redo because the needles don’t have a hook on the end!  I’ve had to use a tiny hook a few times now to try and fix up knitting errors.  I also don’t like the how I feel like such a beginner – I knew how to knit and how to purl before this sock – THAT was it.  Now I’m attempting baby cables and it’s very VERY slow.  Also, knitting with five needles?! I don’t think I could take this kind of project in my handbag and knit on the bus.

I’m one square away from finishing my Summer CAL blanket, so I think I’ll put the sock down for a week or so to finish off that big project.

150918_stripey socks1

The Gaming Afghan

My partner has been pestering me to make him a blanket (apparently the manghan I’ve been making isn’t cool enough) that is game related, so over the weekend I purchased some Red Heart Aran in red and black, and completed my first graph pattern. I’m not going to lie – graph crochet is ANNOYING and I don’t think I’ll be doing it again in a hurry. But it does have its uses and I think this Horde emblem (from World of Warcraft) looks pretty cool.

150914_Wow blanket1

Exploring the Art of the Fingerless Glove

During some downtime (HA who am I kidding, I MAKE downtime to get out of study so I can crochet instead) I’ve been working on a version of my original fingerloop gloves pattern that’s free on Ravelry (you can find it here if you are interested).  This new version is going to include a heart on the top of the glove, but it’s proving a little difficult to work up.  It doesn’t help that I used varigated yarn for my test glove – the pattern gets a bit lost in all that colour changing!  It’s also too short at the moment, so the next test glove I make I have a few ideas to get the glove to cover more of your hand.  Hopefully I’ll be able to get some family members to test the pattern in the next week or so, and then upload it to Ravelry 🙂

150908_HFG_1 150908_HFG_2